Friday, April 6, 2012

Universal Language

 Many people say there are several types of a "universal language". The two most common are the language of love and the English language. For my English class that I took last spring we had to write an article about a topic that we believed in. For part of the assignment we had to submit our paper to This I Believe. This is a website where people around the world can write a short essay on any topic that they believe in. There were so many topics that I could have chosen from. I wanted to be original, well as original as I could be. I chose to write about my time in Madagascar. In particular that even though I was new to the country I still could connect with the people. I wrote about how soccer is a universal language. That anywhere you go outside of the States (because soccer outside of the US is popular) you can play soccer and have an instant connection to the people. I submitted my final paper to the website without any prospect of anything happening.
First month in country and already made some friends
 Throughout the day I check my email pretty regularly. This evening I checked my email and I received an email from the administration from thisibelieve. In the email it said that my essay had been reviewed and was now on the website. So I'm a published author. Granted that it's on a website with thousands of other writers but I still think it's impressive. I never really thought of myself as an author of any sorts. It also took the website just about 8 months to get back to me. But, hey they have thousands of submits each day. You may say I'm not a published author but at least I have a published piece of work. You may read the article if you'd like to. Here's my published work. You are more than welcome to email me and let me know what you think or you can just leave a comment on this page.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nathan. This is really cool. Congratulations on getting published.

    ReplyDelete